You may not be an industry leader – yet – but surely your business model is designed so that you can sustain a competitive edge or gain the drive you need to become a leader. If the business model doesn’t include a software mindset, however, you could be in for a surprise. The companies that are leading the way and entrenching their existence for the next decades are those that are winning the war with software tools. Here’s a look at just a few:
- Apple. Sure, you may think that Apple dominates because of their elaborate but easy to use phone, but it’s actually their intelligent software that’s captured the hearts of millions around the globe.
- Amazon.com. A book and movie seller (and reseller) by day, software company by night, Amazon is dominating the market because of the software that powers their product offerings and business model.
- Wal-Mart. The low-priced retailer has gained notoriety and a surefire edge over the competition with its sophisticated use of big data and innovative logistics software.
- LinkedIn. Not just a tool for recruiting personnel, the platform connects job seekers and employers in a way that’s much more efficient and streamlined than ever before.
- Netflix. It’s not your grandmother’s movie rental. This up-and-coming has turned the industry on its head, using innovative software to completely transform the movie renting landscape.
- Expedia. Say goodbye to travel agents and hello to the new travel business model: Software that powers travel searching and simplifies the booking process.
While your business may not be in the same class as a giant like Wal-Mart or Apple, surely when Netflix started or LinkedIn opened its doors the first day, their teams probably hoped they would one day succeed – but never in their wildest dreams did they know just how integral software applications would be to their success – and how successful they would ultimately become.
You don’t have to be a software company to win with software. Our webinar about how to leverage outsourced software development can help you get in the game.
How could a software mindset transform your company’s future?